Sunday, 28 August 2011

ICT and VELS.



ICT provides a rich and flexible learner-centred environment in which students can experiment and take risks when developing new understanding.
Creating a positive classroom atmosphere is one of the most essential things to establish within a TESOL classroom. In no other learning sphere is this more crucial, then in that where a language is being learnt. Integrating ICT elements within the TESOL classroom allows students to explore their creativity, express their ideas, and engage with the target language in a non-confrontational manner.
The ICT segment of VELS declares that the use of ICT allows students to ‘gain an understanding of Internet protocols and strategies for exchanging information’.  It is the latter half of the quote which is pertinent to TESOL. Language is almost entirely centred upon the exchange of information. The development of such strategies and skills, through the use of ICT, allows language learners to develop linguistic competencies faster and, perhaps, more efficiently. Inherent to the process of language learning is the concept of risk taking. As students develop these strategies for ‘exchanging information’, both in an electronic and physical manner, they begin to take risks in their use of language. As a part of the students’ new creative writing unit, I aim to have students establish a blog to publish their new poems and stories. Through the blog, I hope to develop the students reading comprehension and ability to navigate the Internet in a safe manner. To run classes/authentic language interactions in such a manner would decrease teacher talk time and encourage the development of a more learner-centred environment.
Of the three dimensions of ICT (ICT for visual thinking, ICT for creating and ICT for communicating), the concept of visual thinking strikes a chord with me as a TESOL teacher. Under the ' Structure of the Domain' link,  it states that ICT, through its ‘extensive capabilities’, can aid students, ‘by visually coding and representing their thinking, to clarify thoughts, and to identify patterns and form relationships between new and existing knowledge.’ Creating that link between new and existing understanding is the key to learning a language. Drawing such links involves taking controlled educational risks. Identifying the correct link/element within the target language is almost a matter of hit and miss for many English learners. Too often have I found myself unable to articulate my words in a manner accessible to the student and have had to revert to crude drawings as an approximate. Learning to visually code their ideas through the use of ICT is the most valuable skill for a beginning English speaker/student. It is a skill that I have encouraged my students to develop, and it is one that intend to plan future ICT lessons around.

As previously mentioned in my blog, I recently set up the Smartboard in the Language Centre. I did this while my mentor teacher took the students through a discussion about synonyms and vocabulary. The students were instantly curious as I switched the Smartboard on. With the teacher’s permission, they ventured over to explore the device. For an educational device to incite so much curiousity, one cannot help but wonder as to the extent of its effect. I am keen to begin integrating the Smartboard into all of my lessons and am enthusiastic about the capacity of ICT to fully extend and develop my new creative writing unit. From photography to storyboarding online, rest assured, my ESL students will be exploring it all in the coming weeks.


References

Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (2011). Victorian Essential Learning Standards: Information and Communication Technology. Retrieved 27th of August, 2011 from http://vels.vcaa.vic.edu.au/ict/

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sam,
    I have been inspired by your ideas about ICT integration into your ESL classroom. I know I do not use ICT enough in health and physical education, especially for younger year levels and your plans and ideas make it seem entirely beneficial. To have the students completing a blog with their work samples for others to view seems like a great way for students to take pride in their achievements, for you as the teacher to keep a record of students work and for the students to begin to feel comfortable and take risks when exploring language and ICT. It also seems that by introducing a Smartboard into the class you immediately gained the students interest and attention which may have resulted in more enjoyable learning for your class. Good luck with your students blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly...though me thinks 'inspired' may be a bit of a stretch. :) I am still in the process of integrating ICT elements into my class, as my mentor teacher appears to have an aversion to it. Ah, the trials and tribulations of a student teacher, trying not to offend whilst attempting to assert independence.

    Good luck with your placement this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam,

    I was really interested in what you were saying about ICT being an ‘un-confrontational’ way of taking important risks in the learning process. I can definitely relate to that in the music class. As I mentioned on my blog, there are music programs on the computer that really lend itself to risk taking – essential for creative development of musical ideas. The fact that the students are able to use composition software that allows them to trial things, then delete is an important element of the learning process.

    What I’d particularly love to discuss here is your idea of getting the students to create their own blog, using stories and images. It is a deceptively simple idea, but one which I think would be very effective. What you are doing by setting this task is allowing the students to connect with the new information they’ve learnt in a ‘personal ‘way – they get to create their own page and hence connect it to their own identity, likes and dislikes. The language which you introduce to students in your classes opens up a new world for them. Music is often thought of as a ‘language’ as well, which also opens a whole new world to students.

    It is important for students in this day and age to begin a ‘relationship’ with the computer, so that they may eventually use music composing software etc. In order to get students interested in the subject of music, they need to personally connect with the subject. In the music class the way I would approach it is to ask the students to create a blog with perhaps some of their favourite youtube clips of songs, lyrics, profiles of their favourite musicians. This would help to galvanise their involvement in the world of music, and hence keep them engaged to learn more - hopefully!

    ReplyDelete